Launching later this June, Super Mario Maker offers a lot of new content for fans or newcomers alike. Things to look forward to are the following: new course parts, tools, and features for the creators, new story mode, new course themes, Super Mario 3D World, and more.
Here are the complete details:
- What’s New?: There are a ton of new course parts, tools and features for creators to use in Super Mario Maker 2, some of which include:
- Slopes – Create angled surfaces by just picking a direction and setting the length. Gentler slopes are an additional option.
- Angry Sun – Remember the angry sun that attacked Mario in the Super Mario Bros. 3 game? It’s back and ready to put the pressure on players in this new game.
- ON/OFF Switch – Hit an ON/OFF Switch, and all the red and blue blocks in the course will swap! Setting them up wisely will help players create tricky puzzles and obstacles.
- Water Level – The water level in Super Mario Maker 2 can be adjusted in the Forest theme, so only half the course can be underwater if that’s what the player wants. Water can even be set to rise and fall at different speeds over time.
- Banzai Bill – The red variations of these classic Super Mario enemies have a homing function, and chase poor Mario wherever he goes.
- Co-op Making: Pass a Joy-Con controller to a friend to create a course together, side by side.
- To Be Continued…: There are more secrets in Super Mario Maker 2. Players will have a blast experimenting with all the tools and features they can use to create.
- Story Mode: In the single-player Story Mode, which can be played entirely offline, Mario sets out to help rebuild Princess Peach’s castle. To fund this reconstruction project, he needs to collect Coins, which he can earn by accepting jobs from the bulletin board and completing the associated courses. Story Mode is a great way for makers to get inspired, with more than 100 original Nintendo-crafted courses to play.
- New Course Themes: In addition to all the course themes from the original game, players will be able to create and play courses using the Desert, Snow, Forest and Sky themes. These themes feature new music by veteran Super Mario series composer Koji Kondo. The new Moon course part can be used to unlock night versions of themes. Depending on the theme used, wild things will happen at night, including floating Goombas, dimmed lighting in the Ghost House and sandstorms in the Desert. Some items might even transform in the nighttime…
- Super Mario 3D World: Players can choose to create their courses in the style of Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, New Super Mario Bros. U games and a new one based on Super Mario 3D World. Some new features unique to this style include:
- Cat Mario – Cat Mario can climb walls, scratch, slide and pounce on enemies. Players can even use Cat Mario to climb up the Goal Pole!
- Clear Pipe – Clear Pipes can be placed in any shape the player wants, but they have to be careful, as enemies can also slide through them.
- Koopa Troopa Car – Hop in this sweet ride and zoom through the course. Players just have to make sure not to crash!
- Track Block – The Track Block will follow any path the player draws. The blue one starts moving when the player steps on it.
- Piranha Creeper – The Piranha Creeper follows the path that the player draws, extending its dangerous spiky stem around the course.
- Who’s Who in Super Mario 3D World?: A cast of other familiar faces will also make appearances in Super Mario Maker 2, so players are in for a treat!
- Course World: An online hub where players can play and share courses, as well as play together, Course World is available for players around the world who have a membership to Nintendo Switch Online. Players can browse by Popular Courses, New Courses or even search for specific tags like “puzzle-solving” or “autoscroll” using a set of filters. Once a course is downloaded, it can be played anytime – including offline! Players can also personalize their Mii character’s appearance using items like shirts and hats that unlock after completing various objectives. In Endless Challenge, players will try to complete as many Course World courses as possible on the difficulty of their choice before getting a game over. Earning impressive scores in this mode might even get the player on the Leaderboards!
- Play Together: In Course World, players can play courses with people all over the world. When playing with four players, players play as Mario, Luigi, Toad or Toadette.
- Multiplayer Versus – Four players face off in a side-scrolling showdown in this online multiplayer mode. Each player will be assigned a different character, then race each other in a randomly selected course. The player who clears the course first wins and increases their Versus Rating.
- Multiplayer Co-op – In this online mode, up to four players must work together to beat the course. If one player finishes it, everyone wins!
- Nearby Play – If up to four players each own a Nintendo Switch system and the Super Mario Maker 2 game, one can set up a virtual room that the others in the same location can join to play together on their own systems. Only the player setting up the room needs an internet connection.
- Super Mario Maker 2 + Nintendo Switch Online Bundle: Launching in stores and digitally in Nintendo eShop on June 28 in addition to the stand-alone game, this bundle includes the Super Mario Maker 2 game and a 12-month Individual Membership to Nintendo Switch Online at a suggested retail price of $69.99, a $9.99 savings off of the suggested retail price when purchasing each separately. Remember: A Nintendo Switch Online membership is required to use the game’s online features.
- Nintendo Switch Game Vouchers – For $99.99, fans with a paid Nintendo Switch Online membership can purchase a set of two Nintendo Switch Game Vouchers from Nintendo eShop. For a limited time, players can redeem these vouchers for two eligible digital games in Nintendo eShop. For example, players can pre-purchase Super Mario Maker 2 and also grab another fun game like Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Super Mario Odyssey, Yoshi’s Crafted World, or The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. By redeeming these vouchers, users are saving up to $19.99 on the combined suggested retail price of two games. Vouchers are redeemable for one year from the date of purchase and don’t have to be used at the same time. For more information about this limited-time special offer, visit Nintendo.com.
- Super Mario Maker 2 Invitational 2019 – On June 8, four members of the Super Mario Maker community will compete in a variety of wild and unpredictable Super Mario Maker 2 courses designed by Nintendo’s Treehouse team. The event will open up the festivities at The Theatre at the Ace Hotel in Los Angeles, starting at 11 a.m. PT, and will be followed by the Splatoon 2World Championship 2019 and the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate World Championship 3v3 2019. For more information about the event, including ticketing information, visit E3.Nintendo.com.
For more information about Super Mario Maker 2, visit the official website.
Additionally, Nintendo also opened up its official website, sharing more information about the game:
Make the Super Mario Courses of Your Dreams
Want coin-shooting cannons? Cat Mario sliding down slopes to take out an army of baddies? By combining a variety of parts, you can do some incredible stuff that isn’t even possible in regular Super Mario games!
Create in the Style of Super Mario 3D World
This game style is quite a bit different from the others—there are things you can do here that you can’t do in any other style!
- Cat Mario – You can’t mention Super Mario 3D World without showing some love for Cat Mario. Climbing walls…scratching…sliding, pouncing—there’s nothing quite like it.
- Clear Pipe – These Clear Pipes can be placed in any shape you like. Be careful, though! Enemies will make use of them as well.
- Piranha Creeper – The Piranha Creeper will extend wherever you draw. Watch out for its spiky stem!
- Banzai Bill – Banzai Bill can fly all over—even toward the screen. It’s so powerful it can break through walls!
- Koopa Troopa Car – Take this sweet ride for a spin and tear up the course. Just try not to crash it. Drive safely, now!
Select a Style
You can choose from some of your favorite Super Mario styles!
Give It a Theme
Whether you like to run through Castles or sneak through spooky Ghosts Houses, there are plenty of classic themes to choose from, along with some new ones: Desert, Snow, Forest, and Sky.
Break the Rules
You can customize almost everything in your courses—you can even change the goal! Instead of just reaching the Goal Pole to finish, you can set an additional objective that players have to complete, like collecting 50 Coins or defeating all the Dry Bones. (Video)
Pass a Joy-Con controller to your pal and work side-by-side to create a course on a single screen. (Video)
Whether you’re trying out courses you’ve made or hopping into the all-new Story Mode, you can play a nearly limitless number of side-scrolling Super Mario courses anytime, anywhere.
- Story Mode – Play through over 100 original courses and gather Coins to help rebuild Princess Peach’s castle.
- Play Your Own Levels – Create the wildest course you can imagine, then test it out yourself right from the Make menu. (Video)
- Coursebot – Our robotic friend, Coursebot, is back to keep all your created courses in a safe place for easy access. You can also save your favorite courses from Course World here to play on the go!
With a Nintendo Switch Online membership, you can download and share courses, play online, and more!
- Lots (and lots!) of Courses – In Course World, you can find a nearly limitless number of courses created by other players that you can play right away or save locally to play offline later.
- Endless Fun – While in Course World, be sure to try out the Endless Challenge, where you run a gauntlet of created courses.
- Share Your Creations – Upload your favorite courses for other players to try out. You can even add tags and descriptions to your courses so people can find them easily and appreciate what you’ve made!
- Enjoy Online Multiplayer – Play online multiplayer with people from all over the world! (Video)
- Be Part of a Fun Community – When you join Course World, you’ll create a unique profile to show off to the world. You can even customize your Maker avatar with shirts, hats, and more that you unlock by completing in-game objectives.
Super Mario Maker 2 will be available for Switch on June 28.
Check out the Nintendo Direct Presentation aimed for Super Mario Maker 2: