Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance – How to Defeat Metal Gear Excelsus
So you’ve killed off Desperado and are about to put an end to things, but first you have to stop Metal Gear Excelsus. While you might be expecting a long final battle, Metal Gear Excelsus is one of the simplest bosses in the game. I wouldn’t call him the easiest, but is definitely among the most exploitable.
- When you see a blue outline around your screen, it’s your prompt to go blade mode.
- Do not rush the quick blade events! Typically you’ll have more than enough time to do them, plus rushing them can result in you wasting time / taking damage.
- Don’t get greedy. Several bosses will take FAR less damage if you don’t attack them at the right time, so you’re really just putting yourself in harms way.
General Boss Tips
- Just parry everything.
- Use the lasers to kill gekko’s.
- Don’t over think this fight.
- If you’re running low on healing items, just restart after the game checkpoints. This will give you full health and save you from using your items.
- This is not the final boss, don’t go into it thinking you can do whatever or you might run into problems later on.
Similar to Metal Gear Ray’s second phase, this fight is actually completely predictable. This fight always starts with him dropping both swords on you (up + light attack to parry), followed by him cutting across the stage (run towards them and do the light attack + jump skill), after this he will drop a single blade on you switching sides after each attack (either parry or run by and then run back to attack it) and finally he will stop his leg a number of times. This part will continue till you get him down to about 60% health, so just keep attacking. Once you do get him to the desired among, do the blade time event (1 slash is enough if time is a factor) and then run up his leg to do the other one (again, 1 slash is enough).
At this point the game will checkpoint and you can restart if you need some more life. This phase starts with you getting a small window to attack its head and then you’ll have to dodge lasers. Dodging is pretty straight forward, run away from the ones coming up, jump over the ones moving across, let the lasers kill the Gekko’s and then repeat the steps of phase 1. This part will last till about 10%, so plan accordingly.
This is just a simple QTE, so finish him off and get ready to face the end boss.