With Gearbox Software’s Borderlands: The Handsome Collection releasing next week, one of the features the game has is the ability to use your existing save file from last-gen consoles.
Gamers who have already played Borderlands 2 and/or Borderlands: The Prequel on Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 (or PS Vita for Borderlands 2), you’ll be able to transfer your save file within the same console family. Before you do anything, make sure that you download the patch for the Handsome Collection when it launches next week.
Once you have that patch downloaded, follow these steps:
- Ensure all versions of the games are up to date with the latest patch (old-gen and new-gen) and you are connected to PlayStation Network or Xbox Live.
- From the main menu of the PS3 or Xbox 360 versions of BL2 or BL:TPS, choose the “Cross Save” (PlayStation consoles) or “Cloud Save” (Xbox consoles), then “Upload Save” function.
- Once the save has been uploaded, choose “Cross Save” or “Cloud Save” then “Download Save” from the main menu of the PS4 / Xbox One Handsome Collection game for which you’re downloading the save.
IMPORTANT: Only one save may be uploaded at a time. If you have multiple saves to transfer, upload one save, then download it in the Handsome Collection, then repeat the process for successive saves.
- The Xbox family of systems can only move saves from Xbox 360 to Xbox One and not the other way around.
- The PlayStation family of systems can upload / download saves from any system to any other PlayStation system. Think of PS3 / PS4 / PSV as a triangle, and saves can move in any direction (Vita saves are only applicable to BL2 and not BL:TPS).
- Uploading a save does not remove it from the original system, it only creates a copy of the save on the network.
- Players will need the day 1 patch for the Handsome Collection in order to download saves.
- Players will also need the most recent patch installed for PS3 / Xbox 360 in order to upload saves.