Today My Nintendo, the spiritual successor of Club Nintendo, launched in North America and Europe, which gives an interesting glimpse into Nintendo’s future.
Unlike the original Club Nintendo program, users can earn coins by either buying products (gold coins), using Miitomo (Miitomo coins), an application that is set to release later today and by completing various tasks (platinum/Miitomo). These coins can be used to buy the following (these are the NA rewards) rewards.
- Picross: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess -1000
- Miitomo Mario Suit – 250
- Miitomo 1 game ticket – 85
- Miitomo 5 game tickets -420
- Miitomo 10 game tickets – 250 (one time only)
- 15% discount on Yoshi’s Woolly World – 750
- 15% discount on Animal Crossing: New Leaf– 450
- 15% discount on The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD – 750
- 15% discount on The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds – 600
- 15% discount on Super Mario 3D Land – 450
- WarioWare: Touched! (3DS) – 1000
- My Nintendo Theme 1: Mario- 200
- My Nintendo Theme 2: Donkey Kong – 200
- 30% discount on Splatoon – 140
- 30% discount on Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker – 100
- 30% discount on The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask – 100
- 30% discount on NES Remix (3DS) – 70
- 30% discount on Punch Out – 50
- Super Mario 64 (Wii U) – 90
- New Super Mario Bros. U Add-On Content: New Super Luigi U – 170
- Pikmin 3 Add-On Content: Battle Enemies! Stages 7-10 – 20
- Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (3DS) – 35
- Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii U) – 230
- Metroid Fusion (Wii U) – 60
- Super Punch-Out!! (Wii U) – 70
As for earning these coins, the bulk of them are earned by linking your accounts to social networks, Nintendo and so forth or buying digital games. The remaining tasks, the ones that you’ll need to do if you want to earn prizes like Twilight Princess Picross, include things like signing into Miiverse and the eShop every week and change your Miitomo’s clothing, answer questions, receive so many likes, comment on others and basically use the app in excess every day.
Even though the current My Nintendo looks to be a step forward, it also looks to be a step backwards too. If you were to do every big task and complete the weekly and daily every day for five days, you can earn Picross/WarioWare. However, this total skyrockets to approximately 23 days of doing every single task, assuming none get added, to earn the other 1,000 reward. Gold rewards are a little better, but still on the high side with things like Super Luigi U taking around $140 in sales. Mind you, sale prices count as the full amount and codes apparently work, but still pretty high.