According to a blog post from Bungie, there will be several changes to the Crypatch and Engram experiences. That changes that will take place later this week will guarantee that Engrams will always decode into items at or above the quality of an engram.
Cryptarch ChangesCayde-6 took the Cryptarch aside and showed him a sack of doorknobs. He decoded that mystery pretty quickly.
- Legendary Engrams will always produce Legendary or better quality items, including Materials or Exotics
- Rare Engrams will always produce Rare or better quality items
- Rare engrams will have an increased chance to produce Legendary quality itemsActivity Changes
- Daily Heroics, Weekly Heroics, and Vanguard: Tiger Playlist activities will include Rare and Legendary Engrams in addition to their existing rewardsItem Changes
- Ascendant materials have been promoted to Legendary to closer associate them with the gear they are used to upgrade
- Legendary Engram items that exist in your inventory will be demoted to Rare quality when the patch goes live, so decode them while you can. But let’s be honest–even if you don’t, we all know they were blues already…
No exact date was announced as to when the patch will deploy, although it will be sometime this week.